Monday, September 26, 2011

Another New Flag for Nova Scotia

A few months ago, I suggested the following flag as a fix for the province of Nova Scotia:


This was essentially the current provincial flag, I just removed the central shield which featured a lion.  In flags, simplicity is key, but I may have let the pendulum swing too far in this instance.  As I mentioned in the original post, this flag also closely corresponds to the Russian naval ensign, an uncommon flag I'll admit, but there's no reason to use a Russian flag in Canada.  While searching for new ideas, I came across the flag of Cape Breton, the island that makes up the northern part of Nova Scotia:


As I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for nautical icons on flags, particularly those from the Age of Sail, so this really jumped out at me.  The golden leaf design around the edge is a little distracting, but at least this flag is heading in the right direction.  After a little more searching, I found the flag of Halifax:


This one maintains the St. Andrew's cross of the provincial flag, but adds some more elements and replaces the white with yellow.  I like the bird (a kingfisher?) and ships, but the arrows seem unnecessary.  I decided to use this flag as a template for the whole province, and this was my final product:


I have kept the yellow on the ships, partially because it would have taken forever to change their color using Paint, but mostly because they give a splash of color to the blue and white.  As you can see, I hanged the central "X" to white and removed the arrows, giving the flag as less cluttered look.  I'm not entirely sure if the bird is a provincial symbol or specific to Halifax, but either way I think this version does a better job of representing the province and not being simple for simplicity's sake.

Thanks to Francis for the ideas.

1 comment:


  1. IT IS Genuinely Really Helpful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Publish Simply because IT IS Very Beneficial FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Same Very best Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    Wholesale Flags
    Flag Designer

    ReplyDelete